Aisha is a 24-year-old housewife who moved to Italy from Morocco 5 years ago with her husband. She is now in her second pregnancy, the first child is 3 years old. Already upon her arrival in Italy she was overweight, but now, after the previous pregnancy, the few physical activity and unhealthy nutrition, she has reached a BMI of 29.She does not smoke, does not drink alcohol, but feels intimately uncomfortable with her weight, and very lonely. She is intelligent and curious, but this aspects has been sacrificed by her culture. She loves her baby and respects her husband, but often compensates her sense of incompleteness and loneliness with junky food. His window of freedom on the world are the social networks, Facebook. During the obstetric visit at the clinic they advised her to participate at the Mitosis laboratory to learn to eat better and practice physical activity. Her husband’s resistance was overcome by the insistence of the doctor, who explained the risk of obesity in such a young woman, and the reassurance that only women will be present at the session. Aisha is hesitant to participate, but she would like to try because she has watched the photos of the laboratory and because the doctor tells her it would help her lose weight. She speaks just little Italian.
Mobile device skills
Affinity to new tech
Digital Health Literacy
Assistance (ICT use)
What's important to Aisha
– Being a good wife and a good mother
– Being attractive for her husband
– Knowing the world around her, even if she’s also scared of
– Taking care of herself, feeling a little more autonomous, learning Italian
– Overweight, almost obesity
– Housewives, mother and wife
– She cooks, clean her home, and take care of her daughter
– No physical activity
– No social life
– Watches soap opera on TV, tries to learn Italian by watching movies, uses social networks and chat
– Blood pressure, glycemia, and any other test necessary for pregnancy
– Obstetric ultrasound scans
Events, issues & personal concerns
– Binge eating
– Loneliness and social margination
– No friends
– No chance to improve her social contacts
Treatment: medications, therapies, etc.
Own resources & assets / support
– She’s clever and curious
– She’s motivated to looseweight
– She’s young and, for the moment, healthy
Care professional concerns
– Overweight in young age and during pregnancy
– Unhealthy nutrition
– Poor physical activity
– Programs of social inclusion
– Attending Italian (free) courses
– Attending a local Mosque to make some friendships
bySilvana Zanon, Aulss3 Serenissima – Veneto Region
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.